Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gospel of Ruth and Mothers Day

Prayer for mothers

            …mothers who cared for us and made us who we are today.
            …forgiveness for our mothers even when they come up short.
            …families of mothers facing the end of their earthly lives.
            …mothers of young children and the joys and struggles ahead.
            …women unable to have children of their own.
            …mothers of men and women in the armed forces who defend our country.
            …mothers who mourn the loss of a child.

I finished reading a great book recently: The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules by Carolyn Custis James.

The Gospel of Ruth, provides a fresh perspective about the Biblical Ruth. Carolyn James richly describes the difficulties faced by women in those days but more importantly the book illustrates how Naomi and Ruth learned to overcome those difficulties.

One critical question Carolyn asks throughout the book: Is God good for women? So often, the Bible is written from a male perspective but Ruth is about women and how they cope with nearly impossible circumstances.

In Ruth, Naomi faces the loss of her husband and her two married sons. With few options left, Naomi decides to leave and go back to her homeland. She gives permission for her two daughters in law to remain at home. One accepts and returns home but Ruth in one of the most touching scenes throughout the Bible refuses to go home and instead chooses to remain with Naomi.

In Chapter One:14-18: “And again they wept together, and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye. But Ruth clung tightly to Naomi. “Look,” Naomi said to her, “your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods. You should do the same.” 

But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!” When Naomi saw that Ruth was determined to go with her, she said nothing more. 

Carolyn James the author often uses the Hebrew term “Hesed” to describe this all-encompassing sacrificial and forever-giving love: A love that knows no bounds in the same way that God’s love is expressed throughout the Bible. Naomi believes that God has abandoned her but through the love of Ruth we see that God’s Hesed has never been withdrawn.

Look again at the “Hesed” love expressed by Ruth to Naomi:

·         Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back.
·         Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live.
·         Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. 
·         Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried.
·         May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!”

This is the love of Ruth for her Mother-in-law.
This is the love of a mother for her child.
This is the love of God for me and you.

This is the love that I pray you feel today as we celebrate the second Sunday following Easter and Mother’s Day. One reminds us of the sacrificial love of God toward us. The other reminds of the sacrificial love of a mother toward her child.

May you feel and share that love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment